Essential Oils: What They Are & How To Use Them
Go back to nature with this natural wonder
Essential oils are nature’s blessing to human beings. While almost everyone has heard of essential oils, most people do not really know much about what they are, how they are made, what they do, or how to use them.
In this article we will answer all these puzzlers and also tell you how you can use essential oils for better health and mood in your home.
Essential oils – what are they and how they are made?
Essential oils are natural substances plants make and store inside leaves, flowers, buds, roots, barks and branches. These carry the plant’s specific aroma (smell) and healing properties. As these are in fact ‘the essence of the plant’ and essential for plant’s health and growth, these are called essential oils.
So are plant essential oils the same as plant oils?
No, not at all. Plant oils like mustard, almond or sesame are seed oils i.e. extracted by pressing seeds. These are liquid fats that do not evaporate at room temperature. Plant essential oils on the other hand are a blend of several substances all naturally occurring inside various plant parts. Plus these are volatile i.e. keep them in open air and they will evaporate (like petrol). Actually plant oils (almond, sesame, apricot etc) are great for using alongside essential oils but more of that later.
Essential oils – just fantastically fragrant or have they any healing powers too?
Actually, essential oils are called ‘nature’s own pharmacy’ and ‘the prana or the life force’ of plants because of their unparalleled healing goodness. Essential oils have tremendous therapeutic qualities. As a matter of fact, there is a whole alternative therapy named ‘aromatherapy’ that treats physical and mental ailments using essential oils. However, do note that aroma oils are not the same as essential oils. Aroma oils usually have synthetic fragrances and plant oils. They smell good but don’t have the healing power of essential oils.
Which are some major essential oils that you can use easily at home?
Lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint, geranium, basil, ylang ylang, bergamot, jasmine and rose are some highly recommended essential oils that you should certainly keep at home.
Here are some general key benefits of some common essential oils,
• Eucalyptus – Clears phlegm from lungs and nasal passages, reduces oiliness of skin, kills germs
• Lemon – Refreshes mind, repels moths and insects, disinfects surfaces
• Lemongrass – Lifts mood, repels insects and moths, balances skin
• Peppermint – Great energy booster, refreshes breath, reduces skin’s oiliness, cures dandruff
• Geranium – Revives aging skin, Eases menopause symptoms
• Basil – Kills acne causing bacteria, helps relieve congestion, cold and cough
• Ylang ylang – boosts romantic mood, repels moths and insects, conditions skin and hair
• Bergamot – Reduces irritation, promotes calmness, improves productivity
• Jasmine – Improves oily skin, rejuvenates aging skin, boosts romantic mood
The key things to remember are,
1. Your essential oil should be 100% pure – no dilution with plant oils, no synthetic additives.
2. Essential oils are meant to be used in tiny quantities. So read the bottle label and use accordingly.
3. Essential oils should never be applied to skin directly unless stated so clearly on the bottle. First dilute them with plant oils (also called carrier oils).
4. Never add essential oils to food or drink.
How does one use essential oils to get the best out of them?
A worthy essential oil seller will not only provide you with 100% pure essential oils, they will also ensure that the packaging gives multiple usages too.
WOW Essential Oils are 100% pure and therapeutic grade. And every bottle’s package carries suggestion uses too. Our essential oil website section too provides details on properties and uses of individual oils. They will also inform you of all the ‘do’s and don’ts’ which are equally important.
Here are some general ways in which to enjoy and benefit from your essential oils collection:
- Vaporize them: Use a steam vaporizer or an electric one. Diffuse 2-3 drops to get lovely and healing fragrances. You can also combine 2-3 essential oils to create your own personalized fragrance that will also keep bugs away.
- Spritz them: Blend 4-5 drops in a spray bottle filled with water. Shake well and spritz all around for fragrant and insect-repelling environment.
- Add to shampoo/ moisturizer/cream/ conditioner/ massage oil: Use a general ratio of 3 drops to 10 ml product.
- Add to homemade face packs/hair packs/body scrubs: Add 1-2 drops of your preferred essential oil (choose as per benefit required like geranium for aging skin, lavender for every type of skin, basil for acne prone skin etc) and enhance its rejuvenating and repairing properties.
- Add to bath water/ hair rinse: Stir a few drops in your bath water and in the last rinse of shampoo. Enjoy amazing spa-like experience.
- Add to home cleaners: Some essential oils like citronella, lemongrass and orange are excellent for disinfecting surfaces. Add 2-3 drops per 1tbs to enhance the power of your cleaners.
There are many more specialized ways of using essential oils but the ones above are good for starters.
Essential oil do’s and don’ts
Always store your essential oils in original dark bottles in a cool dark place away from sunlight. Never keep uncapped. Never use undiluted. Always use in recommended quantities and adequately diluted. Always read the instructions on the essential oil package and use accordingly.
WOW offers a complete range of 100% pure and therapeutic grade essential oils that are extracted using hygienic methods and hi-tech machines. These are packaged in quality, dark coloured glass bottles with tight sealing caps and dropper attachments for precise measurement.